Foxtail Millet, a super food from Himalayas
The health benefits of foxtail millet are numerous, including weight loss, diabetes management, and pregnancy support. It is high in vitamins and minerals, and has a nutty flavor which makes it a fabulous substitute for rice or wheat in various recipes.
Fox tail millet is an alkaline forming food. Alkaline based diet is often recommended to achieve optimal health, meaning when it combines with digestive enzymes. The soothing alkaline nature of millet helps to maintain a healthy pH balance in the body, crucial to prevent illnesses
Being a powerhouse in nutrition, Foxtail millet keeps up the stamina, keeps you stronger and builds immunity in order to fight various infections lurking around. Include this power millet in your daily diet to help fight infections and gain the strength back!
- Vitamin B12 Foxtail millet like other millets is a powerhouse of nutrition. Rich in Vitamin B12, these tiny seeds can offer you a daily dose of ample protein, good fat, carbs and amazing dietary fiber content
- Proper functioning of Heart: Foxtail Millet contains Vitamin B1 which helps in the formation of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. It helps to transfer the message from muscles to nerves. It helps to regulate blood pressure, thus reducing the chances of blockage in the heart. Vitamin B1 deficiency leads to improper functioning of the heart.
- Proper functioning of the Nervous System: Foxtail Millet contains 12.3 g of protein per 100 gm of grains. Protein helps in the proper functioning of the nervous system.
- Helps in Weight loss Journey: Due to a lack of dietary diversity in our diet, there is an increase in obesity or overweight. We prefer more refined-based cereals, and packaged food high in salt, sugar, and fats. The problem of obesity or overweight is seen more in the urban population as compared to the rural. The presence of high dietary fiber in foxtail millet helps us to control our weight. It also contains Tryptophan, a very important amino acid that helped your body generate Serotonin (a good mood hormone) which is responsible for slower digestion and prevents us from consuming the extra calories besides many other very important functions. We can say that it gives the feeling of fullness of our belly and control us from taking excess food.
- Helps in controlling Diabetes: Foxtail Millet has a low glycemic index (GI) which means it raises the blood sugar slowly in the body as compared to wheat and rice. More research and study give us the value of foxtail millet. One such study was conducted by a Hospital for diabetes on 105 patients with type-2 diabetes and found that patients who consumed Foxtail Millet dose had low sugar levels as compared to patients who took rice-based dose.
- Helps in maintaining Strong Bones: Foxtail Millet contains 31 mg of Calcium per 100 gm. of grains. Calcium helps us to keep our bones strong. A long-term deficiency of calcium leads to osteoporosis, dental changes, and also alterations in the brain.
- Helps in building Strong Immunity: Today, everyone is concerned about increasing immunity. Foxtail millet is a rich source of vitamins and minerals which boost immunity in our body. Strong immunity is required to fight against diseases. So including foxtail millet in your diet will improve your immunity.
- Helps in Brain Growth: Foxtail Millet contains 2.8 mg of iron per 100 gm. and iron is essential for brain oxygenation and prevents Alzheimer’s disease.
- Good for Skin: Foxtail millet contains amino acids that trigger the formation of collagen and it helps in slowing the appearance of wrinkles on the skin. So it provides us with healthy, youthful, and wrinkle-free skin.
- Helps in good Digestion: Foxtail millet contains 6.7g of fiber which prevents us from constipation and keeps us healthy.
- Good for Celiac Patients: Foxtail millet is gluten-free and it is the best option for celiac patients. The gluten-free trends are adopted in the USA at an 8-10% rate.